Re: [Exim] Forged addresses from virus detectors

Author: dman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Forged addresses from virus detectors
--
On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 09:34:51AM -0400, Greg Ward wrote:
| On 01 June 2002, dman said:
| > The only identifying feature of this mail is the (rather worthless)
| > body :
| >
| > | *** A virus was detected by the security administrator; this message was
| > | discarded ***

| Yes, it's somewhat less than helpful.

| > Was this really split on 2 lines in the original? If so that makes it
| > a bit more complicated ... hmm, not much since exim compresses
| > newlines into whitespace, a regex could easily handle that (but it
| > would get ugly fast if you allow for variations in the line breaks).

| No, I munged it. Oops.

Good. That simplifies it :-).

| > In the "data" acl :
| >
| > deny    condition = ${if contains {$message_body} {"*** A virus was detected by the security administrator; this message was discarded ***"} {1}{0}}
| >         message   = "I hate stupid virus alerts.  I don't have a virus, don't alert me!"

| But that only protects against this one particular stupid virus
| detector.

Yeah, regardless of what host it is forging :-).

| This is not the first one I've seen that, when sending a
| virus warning to X@???, forges a sender of
| postmaster@???.

Are they really different scanners or the same junkware on different
hosts?

| That's just so utterly completely wrong that I want to ban it
| completely.

Good plan :-).

| My original ACL:

|   deny    hosts   = !127.0.0.1
|           senders = postmaster@???:\
|                     postmaster@???:\
|                     webmaster@???:\
|                     webmaster@???
|           message = forged sender address

| seems to work just fine, although I do plan to elaborate it somewhat.

Oh, you're the postmaster for python.org? That keeps the number of
"bogus" domains from growing rapidly. I still think the content check
is good to have since it can (possibly) drop extra junk too.

-D

--

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you
rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and