Re: [Exim] Getting past receiver_verify?

Autor: Greg Ward
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Getting past receiver_verify?
On 04 June 2002, Scott M. Nolde said:
> I had a spam email enter my exim server and get to my account, but the To:
> header wasn't the proper account at all.
>
> Some of you may have already received this spam, but i'd be very
> interested if someone has information as to why this email got past
> receiver_verify?

Because receiver_verify looks at the envelope recipient, not the header
recipient:

> Here's the headers as I received them:
> From lmn332@??? Tue Jun 04 11:31:16 2002

               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Presumably this passed sender_verify.

[...]
> To: togo2903d@???

This is irrelevant to sender_verify.

No, you should not reject messages with a "To" header not pointing at
your domain -- that would prevent users at your site from subscribing to
most mailing lists!

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@???