[Exim] Re: Trouble using Outlook XP with Exim

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: Trouble using Outlook XP with Exim
+++ Peter Grace [04/06/02 10:35 -0500]:
> Yes, actually, I am using SMTP Auth. Even though connections through
> the local lan do not need to be authenticated, Outlook insists on
> authenticating anyway because it sees the auth info from the EHLO. I

Outlook uses AUTH LOGIN. Or AUTH PLAIN. One of the two, I keep forgetting.

Configuring Exim to advertise and support AUTH PLAIN LOGIN should help

> saw a quick-hack in one of the exim config files to make it so only
> hosts that have to auth receive the auth line in EHLO, but the
> snippet would not work with 4.04.

Just set acl_smtp_auth not to require AUTH for connections from your
LAN IPs - that should do what you want.

    -srs

ps - I'd prefer to get on-list replies to posts made on mailing lists ... thx

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian  <---->  mallet <at> efn dot org
[Linux One Stanza Tip]    From : <bish@???>