Re: [Exim] Exim Maildir RFC 2822 compliant ?

Góra strony
Autor: Tommy Lacroix
Dla: Dave C.
CC: maillist, exim list
Temat: Re: [Exim] Exim Maildir RFC 2822 compliant ?
> > It is required for the MS Exchange POP3 connector and Lotus Notes EMail
> > Client, among others.
>
> This has NOTHING to do with the POP client. It only has to do with your
> POP server software.

Both MS Exchange POP3 connector and Lotus Notes EMail client will fail to
format received messages correctly if the From_ line is included. Other mail
clients, such as Outlook Express, Eudora or Netscape Messenger, will
silently *ignore* the line.

I never said the POP client was the problem. However, the From_
line-in-maildir-messages' only side-effect I've been able to observe yet
affects the POP-client-side.

Now, it might be the POP server's fault, and it could remove the From_ line.
But as you probably know, the From_ line isn't needed in the case of
Maildirs. Thus, I just can't find any valid reason why a Maildir-compatible
POP3 server would have to strip tags that neither are needed nor are part of
the standard it has been designed for.

I prefer not to add unneeded things just to remove them later. The most
logic solution IMHO is to configure the MTA so the From_ line isn't added
when not necessary. By adding a "prefix=" line. So the POP3 client will show
messages correctly. Even if it has nothing to do with it.

Best regards,

__
Tommy Lacroix ( runtime@??? )
Linux/Unix System Administrator, CAM Internet
Web: http://www.cam.org
Tel: +1 514 529-3000 ext 247
Fax: +1 514 529-3300