Re: [Exim] Exim and avmailgate

Autor: dman
A: Exim-Users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim and avmailgate
--
On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 11:43:03AM +0200, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
| Hello all,

| I am new at this list. I switched the server in my local network to
| Debian Woody. There runs Exim version 3.35 #1 built 04-Mar-2002 23:05:40.
| At least I installed avmailgate from http://www.hbedv.com/.
| Avmailgate is listening at port 25 and does a smtp forward to port
| 825. In exim.conf daemon_smtp_port = smtp-backdoor is configured,
| where smtp-backdoor is 825/tcp in the /etc/services. Now every mail
| fetched by fetchmail and relayed from a client is scanned by
| avmailgate. But when I send an email logged on the server itself, the
| mail is directly forwarded to exim without scanning through port 25.
| I am using mutt with reset sendmail configured.

2 comments :
    1)  Having fetchmail use SMTP is not a very good idea, instead use
        the option
            mda = /usr/sbin/exim %T
        in your .fetchmailrc.  It's much more reliable that way.

    2)  mutt doesn't do SMTP (because it's a MUA, not an MTA).  It
        pipes the mesasge to $sendmail (defaults to /usr/lib/sendmail,
        which is a symlink to exim) because it is simpler and more
        reliable.

        Due to your setup, this means that mutt hands the message
        straight to exim and avmailgate never sees it.

| How do I have to configure exim for scanning mails sent directly
| from the server?

Does avmailgate have a command-line interface? Particularly one that
takes a message on stdin and echos it out (tagged in some way) on
stdout?

If so then you can use this strategy
    http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/config_docs/exim3_spamassassin.html
and substitute avmailgate for spamc in the exim config part of the
doc.  Also, accordingly, substitute the checks in the system filter
for whatever tag avmail uses (instead of X-Spam-Status:).

Another possibility for you is to use exiscan. (do a google search
for it)

HTH,
-D

--

"640K ought to be enough for anybody" -Bill Gates, 1981