Re: [Exim] Removed frozen mails manually

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Oliver.Egginger
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Removed frozen mails manually
On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 08:15, Oliver Egginger wrote:
> I had a lot of frozen virus mails.
> To remove them I stopped Exim
> and removed the corresponding files manually from the "input" and "msglog"
> directorys.

Don't do that - it happens to be relatively safe, but messing with an
applications private spool area can have nasy side effects.

Your best bet is to use the -Mrm switch to exim to remove them from the
queue - ie use awk or similar to list the target messages:-

mailq | awk '/\*\*\* frozen \*\*\*/ {print $3}'

and xargs that exim -Mrm

You can do this without pausing the mail system.

> Is that enough?
> Will the files in the db directory updated automatic ?

db files are hints - they may be wrong, so don't really matter. You can
blow the hints away completely if you wish (and its sometimes worth
doing - those db files can bloat).

    Nigel.