Re: [Exim] STRANGE DEVELOPMENT WITH MAIL ABUSE SERVICES

Author: James P. Roberts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] STRANGE DEVELOPMENT WITH MAIL ABUSE SERVICES
>> The new kid on the block (yes, I hadn't heard about them before)
blacklists
>> a whole IP block just because one client installed M$ Winblows 2000

with
>> its dreaded SMTPSVC and was used by some geek to relay. Well I am

talking
>> about http://www.mailabusedatabase.com/ !! I think a bunch of morons

are
>> behind this, hoping that money can be made so easily. I call them

morons
>> because they do not weigh the net effect of their scheme.
>
>Only a moron would use that db, or pay to get out of it, afaict.
>
>Blocklists are blocklists, hell we use a lot of them ourselves - but

there
>should be a rationale behind them. And there shouldn't be any

"processing
>fee" for "removal".

And that, I think, should be the "...the world's stand on this" If we
refuse to use blocking lists that have "fees," which is perfectly
reasonable, given the apparently useful number of RBLs that do not
charge fees, then no one is at risk for this sort of attempted
extortion. That is to say, it behooves all of us sysadmins to not only
avoid using such lists, but to alert other sysadmins (who might not be
on this mailing list) to do likewise.

Any ideas for how to disseminate such info, without becoming spammers?
*grins*

One thing I can think of would be to have this group, and perhaps some
others (particularly Sendmail, since it is so commonly used), get
together and discuss exactly which RBL's meet our criteria for
"acceptability." I suggest three categories of RBL, (1) totally free
and acceptable, and (2) those which charge to use them, and are
otherwise acceptable, and (3) those which are unacceptable, for such
reasons as "removal fees," being too slow to make corrections, etc.

Now, all that being said, I agree with the general trend of the previous
discussion, which is to take steps to avoid open relays, in spite of
Microsoft thoughtlessness (errr.. "features?" LOL).

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.
Web Presence for Individuals and Small Businesses