[Exim] "wrong" 550 message after :fail:

Autor: Joachim Wieland
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] "wrong" 550 message after :fail:
Hi,

I'm using exim 4.04 and have a few directors that accept mail only for
certain domains and local parts.

Now if a mail comes in for a domain my host is MX for, but has set a
local part that exim doesn't know, all the routers decline and the RCPT
verify will fail with "550 unrouteable address".

So I thought, hey, lets create a redirect router that fails with a
"user unknown" message if all other routers declined:

userbounce:
driver = redirect
domains = +local_domains:+relay_to_domains
check_local_user = false
verify = true
check_ancestor
allow_fail
data = :fail: unknown user

exim -bt ... returns "unknown user" but the RCPT command still fails
with "unrouteable address".

exim -bh 127.0.0.1 shows:

[...]
>>> calling userbounce router
>>> userbounce router forced address failure

550 unrouteable address
LOG: H=localhost [127.0.0.1] F=<joe@???> rejected RCPT
aldfadf@???: unknown user

The logfile says "unknown user", too. Now my question is: Is this
supposed to be this way? If so, why? If not, Philip, errrmm, could you,
errr... :-)

Thank you very much,
Joachim

--
*****PGP key available - send e-mail request***** - ICQ: 37225940
The eagle may soar, but the weasel never gets sucked into a jet engine.