Re: [Exim] Received header lines IP address lookup

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Received header lines IP address lookup
On Friday 24 May 2002 21:14, Dave C. wrote:
> The mailhub knowing its IP address and name is all well and good. Have
> yuor tried to do a lookup from the machine thats _receiving_ the message
> from the mailhub - maybe it isnt able to resolve the reverse for the IP.

You are of course correct. In fact I did the test on the receiving host, I
just got the email to the list wrong.

I did actually mail a reply about this problem - now solved with a domain
list - earlier this afternoon but it doesn't seem to have reached the list,
or our mailhub has done something with it (?). The latter is possible since I
was working on it! I'll check the logs.

From earlier this afternoon:

On 24-May-2002 at 13:11:40 Tamas TEVESZ wrote:
> On Fri, 24 May 2002, John Horne wrote:
>> My thought is that exim is not getting a DNS reverse lookup for the
>> mailhub
>
> how's your host_lookup ?

Damn he's good :-)

Local MTA has:

host_lookup = LOCALHOST

and 'LOCALHOST' is a macro specifying

LOCALHOST = jhorne.csd.plymouth.ac.uk : localhost

Obviously the '!' only applies to the first entry and an implied '!*' is
tacked on the end. Hence no lookups are done.

Well done. Thanks.

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK            Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@???