Re: [Exim] Exim,Perl, strange Configuration Wish :-)

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Tilo Buschmann
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim,Perl, strange Configuration Wish :-)
On Fri, 24 May 2002, Tilo Buschmann wrote:

> Therefore I decided to add a perl "lookup" in my appendfile-transport, that
> would examine the special email and gives back the place where to
> store this email (generall /var/spool/virtual/mail/<user_id). All Emails
> are handled as user "mail" and group "mail".
>
> I need to use the message_body in this perl-script in its original format.
> $message_body does not help, because it is limited (of course I set
> $message_body_visible to a very high value) and all newlines are missing.
>
> My Question is now: How can I get the whole message or message_body in
> this case. And if there is now variable for this purpose, is it possible
> to add this variable to newer versions of exim?

No. The values of variables are strings held in memory. Consider the
disaster that might happen if Exim tried to hold a 500 MB (or larger)
message as one string in memory...

One thing you can do is to pass the message ID to your program, and then
read the -D file off the spool disc. This is a hack, but it might work.
Of course, you'll somehow have to figure a way of permitting the file to
be read.