Re: [Exim] long pause when coming in from localhost

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Randy Bush
CC: Phil Pennock, Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] long pause when coming in from localhost
On Thu, 23 May 2002, Randy Bush wrote:

> > Do you know if the original connection was over IPv4 or IPv6? (Since I
> > don't know whether your "localhost" is 127.0.0.1 or ::1)
>
> localhost is only 127.0.0.1

... but wasn't it you that was involved in a recent exchange about
"preferring IPv6 when possible" ? On my Solaris 8 box, built with IPv6
enabled, I see the following:

$ telnet localhost
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...

(of course, telnetd isn't running). There's no ::1 in /etc/hosts, which
confused me for a bit, until I remembered there's a new file callet
/etc/inet/ipnodes. But I guess this is all be very Solaris-specific.

> > But if you can help narrow it down, past evidence suggests Phil Hazel
> > will be very co-operative in fixing the bugs. :^)
>
> he just happens to have an old account on the box <grin>

But is about to go on vacation for a week. <wide grin>