Re: [Exim] SMTP authentication

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Alexander Sabourenkov
To: Johannes M. Posel
Oggetto: Re: [Exim] SMTP authentication
Hi.

>>3) use an external authentication system, like PAM. Problem is that Exim and
>>Pam don't always get along that well. Thats why I used a MySQL database. It
>>maintains the security since you cannot read from the database w/o a password,
>>and allows for searches to be done easily.

Why not use pwcheck condition if pam's too complicated in its internal workings?
pwcheck's been quite stable (heh, i wrote it to be), and has orders of magnitude
lesser footprint than MySQL.

> Okay, that might be an option, allthough somewhat overkill.
>
> How could I perform the second question, meaning a plain text file,
> with per line a username and a password? I think it might be easier?

Quite unsecure if you've got shell accounts on your box and harder to maintain,
slow if you've got 100s of users mailing all day long. Generally, bad idea.

./lxnt