Re: [Exim] SMTP authentication

Góra strony
Autor: Johannes M. Posel
Dla: Dan Egli
Temat: Re: [Exim] SMTP authentication
Dear Dan,

Going back 20:55 23.05.2002...

> 1) Run exim as root (bad idea)

No way.

> 2) make /etc/shadow readable to world (Then why have it?)

That defeats the purpose, as you pointed out...

> 3) use an external authentication system, like PAM. Problem is that Exim and
> Pam don't always get along that well. Thats why I used a MySQL database. It
> maintains the security since you cannot read from the database w/o a password,
> and allows for searches to be done easily.

Okay, that might be an option, allthough somewhat overkill.

How could I perform the second question, meaning a plain text file,
with per line a username and a password? I think it might be easier?

Thanks,
 Johannes                            mailto:jmp@its-toasted.org

--
Der Daten sind genug gewechselt, nun