Re: [Exim] long pause when coming in from localhost

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Randy Bush
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] long pause when coming in from localhost
--
On 2002-05-22 at 12:31 -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
> > Are you connecting through a firewall
>
> gawd no! aside from my abhoring firewalls, did you actually
> look at the command?
>
>     % telnet localhost 25
>              ^^^^^^^^^
> > refuses ident requests

> bingo! thanks!!!

Uhm, that's strange. Are you sure that the host isn't doing any kind of
packet filtering?

I know full well that _you're_ familiar with the three-way handshake and
wouldn't presume to teach you to suck the rotten eggs of networking. ;^)
But in this case ... if there's no packet filtering then the RST should
come back and there would be no delay.

Delay 30s => default timeout reached => no IDENT, no RST, nada.
--
Genius without education is like silver in the mine. -- Ben Franklin