RE: [Exim] Newbie Brain Failure - or - A bug ?????

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Sheen, Tony
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Αντικείμενο: RE: [Exim] Newbie Brain Failure - or - A bug ?????
On Thu, 23 May 2002, the responder wrote:
>On Wed, 22 May 2002, Sheen, Tony wrote:

>> However, being new to Exim 4.04 (I'm still evaluating it), I tried to

create
>> a router than simply bounced a message back to everyone who sent to a
>> specific domain. In case you are wondering, I do have a valid reason for
>> doing it!
>>
>> So, based on the examples in the manual, I created a router as follows:
>>
>>   route_foo_net:
>>     driver = redirect
>>     allow_filter = true
>>     user = exim
>>     domains = foo.net
>>     file = /etc/mail/exim/foo.filter
>>     reply_transport = remote_smtp_reply

>A shorter router would be as follows:
>
>  route_foo_net:
>    driver = redirect
>    domains = foo.net
>    allow_fail
>    data = :fail: Your message here...

I need the original message to pass, hence the way I was doing it.

>No need for a transport. But you can do it your way if you want to
>customize the message some more. Except...
>
> Which uses the following transport:
>
>   remote_smtp_reply:
>     driver = smtp
>     port = 25
>     hosts = foo.co.uk

>This won't work. A setting of "reply_transport" on the redirect router
>is expected to point to an "autoreply" transport to send the bounce
>message. Sending it to an smtp transport will cause something weird to
>happen. (And anyway, you wouldn't always want to send it to foo.co.uk,
>would you?)

Thanks! Works a treat now.

>> The same extra '>' character appears in the debug trace from Exim itself
>> (see below) and there is no sign of "postmaster@???" MAIL FROM

address !

>Indeed. Exim uses a leading '>' to indicate a "delivery" that really is
>sending a new message. This will confuse anything but an autoreply
>transport.

I understand now.

>> So what am doing wrong??? Or is it a bug ? :-(
>
>Maybe a bug in the documentation. You are not the first to make this
>mistake. I'll see if I can improve the wording sometime.

That would be nice. I suspect most of my problems are due to being
unfamiliar
with Exim (but I'm learning fast).

>> locking /var/spool/mqueue/exim/db/retry.lockfile
>> locked /var/spool/mqueue/exim/db/retry.lockfile
>
>On the other hand, you get brownie points for doing the right thing by
>running a debugging test and posting the relevant output. :-)

I'll add them to my collection! I used to work in tech support and I have
seen far too many messages that had no supporting information, irrelevant
info, wrong info or far too much information (etc)!

Thanks for a very powerful tool !!! See you on the course in June...

Tony Sheen