Re: [Exim] Newbie Brain Failure - or - A bug ?????

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Philip Hazel
To: Sheen, Tony
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Oggetto: Re: [Exim] Newbie Brain Failure - or - A bug ?????
On Wed, 22 May 2002, Sheen, Tony wrote:

> However, being new to Exim 4.04 (I'm still evaluating it), I tried to create
> a router than simply bounced a message back to everyone who sent to a
> specific domain. In case you are wondering, I do have a valid reason for
> doing it!
>
> So, based on the examples in the manual, I created a router as follows:
>
>   route_foo_net:
>     driver = redirect
>     allow_filter = true
>     user = exim
>     domains = foo.net
>     file = /etc/mail/exim/foo.filter
>     reply_transport = remote_smtp_reply

A shorter router would be as follows:

  route_foo_net:
    driver = redirect
    domains = foo.net
    allow_fail
    data = :fail: Your message here...

No need for a transport. But you can do it your way if you want to
customize the message some more. Except...

> Which uses the following transport:
>
>   remote_smtp_reply:
>     driver = smtp
>     port = 25
>     hosts = foo.co.uk

This won't work. A setting of "reply_transport" on the redirect router
is expected to point to an "autoreply" transport to send the bounce
message. Sending it to an smtp transport will cause something weird to
happen. (And anyway, you wouldn't always want to send it to foo.co.uk,
would you?)

> The same extra '>' character appears in the debug trace from Exim itself
> (see below) and there is no sign of "postmaster@???" MAIL FROM address !

Indeed. Exim uses a leading '>' to indicate a "delivery" that really is
sending a new message. This will confuse anything but an autoreply
transport.

> So what am doing wrong??? Or is it a bug ? :-(

Maybe a bug in the documentation. You are not the first to make this
mistake. I'll see if I can improve the wording sometime.

> locking /var/spool/mqueue/exim/db/retry.lockfile
> locked /var/spool/mqueue/exim/db/retry.lockfile

On the other hand, you get brownie points for doing the right thing by
running a debugging test and posting the relevant output. :-)