Re: [Exim] Help with rejecting hosts problems

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: Stephen Woodbridge
CC: exim list
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Help with rejecting hosts problems
On Tue, 21 May 2002, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

> host_reject = /etc/exim/host_deny.exim
>
> which seemed to work fine, but reading the documentations it seemed to
> imply the for spam it was better to use:
>
> host_reject_recipients = /etc/exim/host_deny.exim
>
> So I changed to this, then I noticed in my logs that some sites where
> getting reject that I wanted to receive mail from, so I added:
>
> recipients_reject_except_senders = /etc/exim/host_reject_except.exim

You have confused hosts with senders, I think. "Senders" refers to the
envelope senders of messages, not to hosts.

But I don't understand your logic here. If you've put sites in
host_reject_recipients, and then find you want to receive mail from
them, why don't you just take them out of the file?

> and added the name I did not want rejected to this list. But I noticed
> in my logs that I am now reject all hosts that don't resolve a dns name,
> so of which I want to receive mail from. reject log messages like:
>
> 2002-05-21 15:03:58 recipients from [12.124.4.118] refused (failed to
> find host name from IP address)

This is a common misunderstanding. The comment in parentheses is not the
reason; it is just a "by the way". (It *might* be the reason.) You can
use "exim -bh 12.124.4.118" as a way of testing why Exim is refusing.

> 2002-05-21 14:00:29 recipients from icomm.ca [216.126.72.23] refused
> 2002-05-21 08:27:58 connection from usw-sf-fw2.sourceforge.net
> [216.136.171.252] refused

A "connection refused" won't be the result of host_reject_recipients.

> What I would ideally like to have is:
> 1) an additional list of hosts that are rejected
> 2) an additional list of hosts that are accepted

Why two lists? It's not logical. What happens to hosts that are on
neither list?

Note that you can have negative items in lists. That's the usual way to
deal with exceptions.