Re: [Exim] Memory fault in Exim when empty message supplied …

Top Pagina
Auteur: Ollie Cook
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Memory fault in Exim when empty message supplied by SMTP
On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 10:09:26AM -0700, Keith Smith wrote:
> Not to sound stupid, but this smells like a permission problem, or a
> path issue.

I doubt this is the case since the fault occurred only 80% of the time. I would
expect a 100% failure rate if it was a permissions problem.

>Did you double check that exim is running as the same uid/gid as on 3.12? (I

Indeed, yes.

>run mine as mail.mail) Perhaps a directory perm in a spool dir. Did you try
>wiping the spool dir out first?

No, it is a live server. :)

> Is the mail inbound or outbound?

Inbound

> or does it matter?

I didn't try the other case, submitting mail locally rather than via SMTP.

> This frag is from exim or you manaully sending somethin into exim?

I don't understand the question, I'm afraid.

> I would guess that a mailbox has bad perms,

I find that unlikely since it's writing the spool file when this error is
encountered. It's not been 'transported' yet, it's just being accepted.

> or a spool dir has bad perms

/usr/exim/spool/msglog/*/ and /usr/exim/spool/input/*/ are owned by the correct
user and group with the correct permissions. (We use split_spool_directory)

> . If you've already looked at that, I'd find where the messages is
> being written in the code, and see what it is doing. Another guess is
> you compiled with a different spool directory, and it doesn't even exist.

Both binaries were compiled with the same Local/Makefile, and were using
the same configuration file, so the spool directory will be consistent.

In any case - the new binary did not suffer the problem during testing, and
hasn't suffered from the past few days in active service, so I think whatever
was causing the problem was fixed in newer versions of Exim. (Perhaps the
ChangeLog entry I mentioned, for example).

Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts.

Yours,

Ollie

--
Oliver Cook    Systems Administrator, ClaraNET
ollie@???               020 7903 3065