Re: [Exim] Memory fault in Exim when empty message supplied …

Author: Keith Smith
To: John W Baxter
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Memory fault in Exim when empty message supplied by SMTP
Not to sound stupid, but this smells like a permission problem, or a
path issue. Did you double check that exim is running as the same
uid/gid as on 3.12? (I run mine as mail.mail) Perhaps a directory perm
in a spool dir. Did you try wiping the spool dir out first? Is the
mail inbound or outbound? or does it matter? This frag is from exim or
you manaully sending somethin into exim?

I would guess that a mailbox has bad perms, or a spool dir has bad perms
. If you've already looked at that, I'd find where the messages is
being written in the code, and see what it is doing. Another guess is
you compiled with a different spool directory, and it doesn't even exist.

- --Keith

John W Baxter wrote:
| At 9:44 +0100 5/17/2002, Philip Hazel wrote:

220 ClaraNET Mail Service ESMTP (HOST.uk.clara.net)

EHLO mutare.noc.clara.net

250-HOST.uk.clara.net Hello mutare.noc.clara.net [195.8.70.94]

250-SIZE

250-ETRN

250-PIPELINING

250 HELP

MAIL FROM:<an@???>

250 <an@???> is syntactically correct

RCPT TO:<another@???>

250 <another@???> verified

354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself

DATA

.

451 Error while writing spool file

|>This does not happen with Exim 3.36 on my desktop box. I'm afraid I
|>don't have a binary for any earlier Exim 3s to test with.
|

| It did not happen with an Exim 3.12 I still have lying around (on Linux).
| I didn't have time to try our later 3.xs yesterday (I wanted to try a
| little-used server first). And, just now, it was OK on Exim 3.32 (on

BSDi).