Re: [Exim] Help me about receiving mail

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Dave C.
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: S. Khademi
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Help me about receiving mail

On Sun, 19 May 2002, S. Khademi wrote:

> Hello my friends.
> I currently have installed exim.3.3 on my system, my OS is linux redhat
> 7.3. I have set anythings for exim, and I can send mail to local users and
> remote users, but I cann't see my new message that I get, these message
> keep in /var/spool/mail/input directory that end of any file name is H for
> header of message and D for body of message, and my exim program cann't
> join this 2 part together and I cann't see my new message, then how I can
> set it correctly.
> Thanks advanced.
> Soheila

Exim is not for reading mail - exim is a mail *server* program. You need
to use either a local mail client such as pine, elm, mutt, etc. to read
mail, or use a remote mail client such as Mozilla Mail, Eudora, Outlook
Express.

Also, you sem to have confused exim's spool directory with your system
mail spool.

Exim's spool directory should be where exim temporarily stores messages
until it delivers them. Often this is /var/spool/exim/input. Only exim
should be access files there. When exim delivers a message to a local
mailbox, that should be in files named like /var/spool/mail/[username],
and that is where mail clients expect to read the messages.

For mail clients on other computers to use your server as their mail
server, they need to use POP or IMAP. To do that you need to run a POP
ir IMAP server program, and that program will need to read the files in
/var/spool/mail, and make them available to the POP or IMAP client
program(s) on the other computer(s). No POP or IMAP server program is
included with Exim directly - that is a seperate program.