Re: [Exim] Memory fault in Exim when empty message supplied …

Top Pagina
Auteur: Philip Hazel
Aan: Ollie Cook
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Memory fault in Exim when empty message supplied by SMTP
On Thu, 16 May 2002, Ollie Cook wrote:

>    220 ClaraNET Mail Service ESMTP (HOST.uk.clara.net)
>    EHLO mutare.noc.clara.net
>    250-HOST.uk.clara.net Hello mutare.noc.clara.net [195.8.70.94]
>    250-SIZE
>    250-ETRN
>    250-PIPELINING
>    250 HELP
>    MAIL FROM:<an@???>
>    250 <an@???> is syntactically correct
>    RCPT TO:<another@???>
>    250 <another@???> verified
>    354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
>    DATA
>    .
>    451 Error while writing spool file

This does not happen with Exim 3.36 on my desktop box. I'm afraid I
don't have a binary for any earlier Exim 3s to test with.

> The version of Exim on this server is 3.22 and I found the following entry in
> the ChangeLog which may be related, but I would appreciate a confirmation of
> this before I upgrade this server, if that might be possible:
>
>    3.30/25:

>    If a write error occurred when updating the -H file, an incorrect error
>    message could be output (errno not preserved). This has been fixed, and more
>    detail is now included in the message.

>    (although at the point of this error I think Exim is writing the -D file)

I'm afraid I can't remember the exact detail of this. One would have to
run comparisons on the code for the different versions. Sorry, but my
brain is now running well ahead, on Exim 4, as you might guess...

> The bug does not occur 100% of the time. I tried about 10 times and got this
> behaviour on perhaps 8 occasions.

I would be suspicious of actual disk errors. Do you have any logs that
might record actual hardware problems?

The first step, I am sure, is to upgrade to the latest Exim 3 (3.36) and
see if the error persists. If it does, see if you can reproduce it while
connected to a testing daemon (on a non-standard port) that has -d9 set
so as to capture the debugging output. [You don't actually have to
upgrade; just compiling 3.36 and running it for testing would do.]

We can then take it from there...