Re: [Exim] use of "first_delivery"

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] use of "first_delivery"
On Mon, 13 May 2002 14:45:37 +0100 (BST), Philip Hazel
<ph10@???> wrote:
>There are no guarantees in software, especially in free software. :-)

Absolutely. But exim works reasonably well, even without a guarantee,
and so I figure that the system filter will work as well as the rest
of exim does. That's enough for me.

>It is highly likely that what you want will occur. However, there are
>circumstances where it will not. Example: message arrives, and is queued
>because the load is high. Administrator (for whatever reason) kills the
>message.

In this case, message is not delivered to final recipient, and so it
is not imperative that the system filter is run on the message.

>If you had said "at most once" or "exactly once" I would have been even
>more cautious.

In my case, it does not hurt badly if a message is processed by the
system filter for a second time, as long as it is not processed a
hundred times.

>"first_delivery" gets unset at the end of the first
>delivery attempt. If the power fails just beforehand (for example), the
>flag won't be in the right state when Exim returns. But "at least once"
>is a pretty good bet.

I like that.

Greetings
Marc