Re: [Exim] upgrade 3.36 -> 4.04, "sync error" ??

Autor: Dean Brooks
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] upgrade 3.36 -> 4.04, "sync error" ??
> > Point taken. I was looking at it from the standpoint that on v3 it worked and
> > on v4 it did not (bug??). However, as it was pointed out, there was a change
> > in v4 to support better data integrity (a very good thing), it would have been
> > nice if somewhere in the docs it had said that it would break NFS spools.
>
> It has been admitted that this is a bug in Linux NFS that will be fixed.
> So I think, in this case, I can claim that it really wasn't my fault. I
> can't test every possibly configuration on every available operating
> system...

Absolutely. This is not an NFS problem, nor is it an Exim issue.
From what others have said, this appears to be a Linux problem. If
nothing else, the authors of the Linux distribution should have put in
*their* documentation that their NFS implementation had a flaw in it.

Now, on the other hand, maybe it would be a good idea to have a
file in the Exim 4.x distributions called "doc/CompatibilityIssues" that
has OS specific caveats that the author has been made aware of and
may help provide a centralized place for all these OS specific oddities.

I wasnt sure if there was already a doc file of this nature, but I've
seen many software distributions have something similar, so thought I'd
mention it...

Regards,

Dean Brooks
dean@???