Re: [Exim] Still have SMTP Command Timeout Error

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: John W Baxter
To: Exim
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Still have SMTP Command Timeout Error
At 12:26 -0500 5/7/2002, dman wrote:
>--
>On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 12:44:52PM -0400, Dave C. wrote:
>| On Tue, 7 May 2002, Don Hammer wrote:
>|
>| > I am still getting a SMTP command timeout error. I happens intermittently.
>| > Sometimes the address will get through, other times it will not. I am
>| > considering adding a smtp_receive_timeout line to my config file. The
>| > documentation says the default is 5m, is this milliseconds? What would
>be a
>
>| Its possible the senders connection or server is just slow, or has some
>| sort of MTU or buffering problem.
>
>Maybe it is a dual-homed system with some low-quality ethernet cabling
>causing ~50% packet loss between it and the first router on the
>important segment?

Nice slow performance can also be achieved by forcing one end of a
perfectly good cable to 100meg/Full, and telling the other end to
negotiate. [Hint...the standards require the negotiating end to use half
duplex upon negotiation failure.]

It took us longer than it should have to understand the "late collision"
counts on the poorly-performing segment. We try not to do that any more.

  --John
--
John Baxter   jwblist@???      Port Ludlow, WA, USA