Re: [Exim] Newbie help needed

Top Pagina
Auteur: Phil Pennock
Aan: wvaughan
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Newbie help needed
On 2002-05-02 at 09:48 -0400, wvaughan wrote:
> > Phil Pennock wrote:
> > > Uhm. That doesn't sound right, unless the test domain used for the
> > > relay testing was in one of those extra ones that you added. What was
> > > the actual error message given?
> >
> > It really never gave an error. I used the site at
> > http://members.iinet.net.au/~remmie/relay/
> >
> > On it's third test type it gets in... :(
> >
> > for server I used 166.82.96.6
> > and had the email sent to me
>
> Below is headers of email that got through

> To: wvaughan@???
> From: @[166.82.96.6]
> Subject: test for susceptibility to third-party mail relay
> Date: <P>Thu, 02 May 2002 13:32:04 GMT</P>
> Sender: spammer@???

So, an email to you was accepted for you.

I fail to see the problem.

Looking at the site given,
<URL:http://members.iinet.net.au/~remmie/relay/>
I will say that the page could do with more helpful information.

Eg, "the recipient should not be in a domain which the server is
supposed to accept mail for, otherwise if the server functions correctly
then you'll get a false positive".

Do you have a login on a box somewhere else, which can receive email,
and which the [166.82.96.6] should _not_ accept email?

If so, try _that_ recipient, and [166.82.96.6], in the web-page.

If not, just don't worry. The results are being misinterpreted because
the web-page is not clear about the required pre-conditions for the data
which you supply. Your mail-server accepts mail for its domain. Well
duh!