[Exim] [OT] FreeBSD newsyslog(8) bug affecting Exim -bS / -b…

Top Pagina
Auteur: Sheldon Hearn
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: [Exim] [OT] FreeBSD newsyslog(8) bug affecting Exim -bS / -bs
Hi folks,

Folks who don't use FreeBSD can ignore this message.

I recently closed a race condition in newsyslog(8) that could affect
Exim administrators who use the utility to rotate Exim log files _and_
use exim -bS or exim -bs to inject large volumes of mail.

The description of the committed fix is:

| Close a very small window during which new (empty) instances of
| rotated log files are owned by the caller of newsyslog (usually
| root:wheel) even if alternative ownerships were specified in
| newsyslog.conf.

| Note that this is part of a wider problem which is fully addressed
| in OpenBSD. Anyone with the time and inclination to incorporate the
| full fix for the wider problem will receive no complaints from me and
| should feel free to walk all over this delta.

This would manifest as a failed -bS or -bs input run if the log files
were rotated during the input run.

FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE users will pick up the fix in rev 1.25.2.7 of
newsyslog.c, which will be included in the upcoming FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE.

OpenBSD closed the window ages ago. I believe that NetBSD still has the
problem, but only spent about 3 minutes looking at their code.

Ciao,
Sheldon.