[Exim] ldap_default_servers

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Mike Richardson
To: exim-users
Betreff: [Exim] ldap_default_servers
Hiya,

If we have a number of LDAP servers with a round robin DNS entry then
there are two ways we can do the lookup: 1) by specifying a list of
hosts and 2) specifying the rr DNS name.

The former gives redundancy, the latter load balancing. What I'd
prefer though is to be able to specify a list of hosts and have them
looked up in random order because I don't want to flood the first host
on the list.

I'm assuming that exim won't try multiple lookups of the same address
(the rr dns one) if it fails.

Now one thought was to specify the rr dns name several times but I
fear that exim will either cache the IP or notice that there are
multiple identical hosts listed and complain.

If there is no current way of getting exim to do multiple lookups in
random order from a list of server then would it be worth adding such
an option?

Any suggestions welcome. People who point out errors in my assumptions
or understanding in a *nice* way will earn brownie points and the right
to Smugness(TM). :-)

(I would test the above but we only have one LDAP server currently)

Thank

Mike.
--
-----Plain text only please - attachments stripped on arrival.------
Copyright 2002       Mike Richardson, Room G98, Manchester Computing