Re: [Exim] % hack relay test failed - Exim-3.36 bug?

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Phil Pennock
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Odhiambo G. Washington, exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] % hack relay test failed - Exim-3.36 bug?
On 2002-05-02 at 08:36 +0300, Odhiambo G. Washington wrote:
> I encountered a situation today with my 3.36 setup that I'd like to seek
> your views on.
>
> I have percent_hack_domains commented out but my server seems to allow
> relay for addresses using that, as seen from the test below:

The "test" does not provide evidence to support this claim.

> :Relay test: #Test 8
> <<< 250 <spamtest@???> is syntactically correct
> <<< 250 <nobody%mail-abuse.org@???> is syntactically correct

> Something I'm missing, maybe??

Yes.

"nobody%mail-abuse.org" is perfectly valid syntax for the LHS of an
email address. Just because it's accepted, that does *not* mean that
the MTA will then re-route the mail to "mail-abuse.org".

In this case, it means that you either have a Director which accepts
mail with a LHS of "nobody%mail-abuse.org" or the relevant machine has
ns2.wananchi.com as a relay_domain or somesuch.

Eg, "*: default_mailbox"

Actually, it's not quite that simple, because you're getting
"syntactically correct" instead of "verified", but that's not relevant.

The problem here is assuming that just because an MTA will accept mail
for an address which is perfectly valid syntax, that it will ascribe
some particular set of semantics to that address, when those semantics
are not mandated by any standard.
--
Osborn's Law
Variables won't, constants aren't.