Re: [Exim] blocking blank from addresses

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] blocking blank from addresses
On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 11:02:41AM -0400, Patrice Fournier wrote:
> Quoting Steve Foster <fosters@???>:
> > is there any way in exim to NOT accept blank from Addresses, i.e where
> > we get "From: <>" , or is this a bad thing to add to a configuration.
> If you do, please let us know so we can get you listed in
> dsn.rfc-ignorant.org and block emails from you that we wouldn't be able to
> bounce if a problem arrised after we accepted the mail... :)

Please try to read the mail before posting a flippant, incorrect, and
gratuitous response. "From: <>" is NOT the same as the SMTP conversation's
MAIL FROM:<>, and you may note that RFC(2)822 does not permit empty <>.
(the thing that goes inside <> is an addr-spec which is
``local-part "@" domain'')

I'm getting the steady feeling that rfc-ignorant.org are themselves
RFC ignorant, but certainly a lot of the people that appear to subscribe
to them lack the appropriate clue level.

Steve, I would suggest a system filter, and you could check for
the existence of "${local_part:$header_from:}" or of
"${domain:$header_from:}" or even, probably of "${address:$header_from:}"

From:<>
does not parse as a valid RFC2822 header line, so the string should be
empty.

MBM