Re: [Exim] Exim behaviour on 4xx response to STARTTLS.

Author: Philip Hazel
To: David Woodhouse
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim behaviour on 4xx response to STARTTLS.
On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, David Woodhouse wrote:

> Exim, upon receiving a 4xx response to STARTTLS, will disconnect from the
> offending server and try others, or defer the mail delivery if no
> alternatives are available.

I've been looking at this this morning (filling in time just before
going away). For the record, this is what will be done for the next
release. David, you'll be pleased to see that I've come round to your
point of view - mainly as a result of realizing that the current state
was inconsistent.

11. There was inconsistency in the way failures to set up TLS sessions in the
    smtp transport were handled when the host was not in hosts_require_tls.
    It deferred for 4xx responses to STARTTLS, but tried in clear if the actual
    TLS negotiation failed. It now does the same thing in both cases, and what
    this is can be controlled by the new option tls_tempfail_tryclear. This
    defaults true, causing a retry in clear to occur. If it is set false, these
    kinds of temporary failure cause a defer (for that host; if there are
    other hosts, they are tried).