Re: [Exim] Administrivia: Take down requests

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Exim Users Mailing List
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Exim Users Mailing List
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Administrivia: Take down requests
[ On Thursday, April 25, 2002 at 10:26:29 (+0100), Ryan Cartwright wrote: ]
> Subject: Re[2]: [Exim] Administrivia: Take down requests
>
> The archives are a valuable resource and perhaps Nigel should get us all
> to resubscribe so that we can affirm we have no objection to our posts
> being in them.

You should be aware that for all intents and purposes your posts to a
public mailing list are effectively freely redistributable, and if as a
result they and up in any archives then they are at best covered
individually by your personal copyright (though you've implicitly waived
your right to control redistribution alone or in a collective work), as
well as a copyright on the collective work (the archive itself and all
its contents as a whole) owned by whomever created the archive. If you
don't want to waive your rights to control redistribution of your
writings then you shouldn't post them to a public mailing list in the
first place!

Now as to the niggling little "personal" details that might be attached
to any of your posts (such as your name and your e-mail address and
whatever sundry info you might put in your signature), well I think
anyone who thinks they can use a privacy law to have that information
protected is at least very naive, if not just plain insane.

The best way to retract your postings to any public forum (mailing list
or newsgroup) has always been to ensure anyone finding it in their
search results will also find your retraction, and of course the way to
do that is to post it all again, verbatim, with your retraction inserted
at the top.

--
                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098; <gwoods@???>; <g.a.woods@???>; <woods@???>