Re: [Exim] Re: closed connection in response to STARTTLS.

Author: John W Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: closed connection in response to STARTTLS.
At 9:58 +0100 4/25/2002, Philip Hazel wrote:
>Choosing defaults in this kind of case is always difficult. I note that
>there hasn't been a huge swell of contributions to this thread. Does
>that mean that the rest of the Exim list doesn't know or care about this
>issue?

I've been watching from the grandstand. Sooner or later, I'll have to
implement whatever works.

>So:
>
>Is there anybody else on this list who has views on this issue? The
>options are:
>
>1. Do nothing (but I don't think that's actually realistic).
>2. Add the RSET test, but do nothing else.
>3. Change the default for hosts_nopass_tls to be *.
>4. Replace hosts_nopass_tls with hosts_pass_tls, defaulting unset,
>5. Abolish hosts_nopass_tls and never pass on the socket.

Probably #2, if experience shows it works for Postfix without breaking some
other server's behavior.

A contributed program which scans the Exim logs looking for servers which
need to be added to hosts_nopass_tls would be nice, if adding the RSET
doesn't work. I wouldn't want Philip's time spent on such a thing (I
suspect I'm in agreement with Philip on that. ;-)).

--John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@???      Port Ludlow, WA, USA