Re: Re[2]: [Exim] Administrivia: Take down requests

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Exim] Administrivia: Take down requests
On Thu, 2002-04-25 at 10:26, Ryan Cartwright wrote:
> If that is the case then I would have thought stripping/masking the
> name/address would be sufficient.

That probably is quite enough, except its a little more complex than
that:-

  - Masking header addresses is no problem (well its easier than
    the other things)

  - Howabout quoted addresses?  You can't just strip them
    completely - a reply to a query stating that discussions
    of this problem can be found on the xxx-list at (address)
    are going to be a pain if the information has been masked

  - The exim list gets log fragments to it containing email
    addressing information - masking that could make the logs
    rather less than useful :-)

  - I think a compromise is to just mask email addresses,
    where they are defined as text@text or similar, not
    cover real names, and live with the fact that quoted
    reference lines, message ids and logs will be damaged
    too...

    Nigel.