Re: [Exim] Weird Eudora Problem - Need Help

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Weird Eudora Problem - Need Help
On 2002-04-24 at 17:42 -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> If they use encryption it hangs forever. If they don't use encryption
> they get and error about AUTH CRAM MD5 server log says "535 Incorrect
> authentication data". other forms of authentication fail as well. It
> just started for apparently no reason.

So perhaps there's a problem with how Exim talks to whatever does the
authentication?

Is there a daemon handling the cramauth requests? Is it done via PAM?

Where does the auth stuff log? What do those files say? Is Exim even
trying to authenticate them?

If none of those provide useful information, what happens if you use a
debugging server? Eg, if Eudora allows you to set a port other than 25,
"exim -d9 -oX 26 -bd" ? Or if Eudora won't, if you temporarily run a
debugging daemon instead?

> Eudora Users can't send mail - authentication errors
> Eudora Users can send mail on other exim servers - same exim.conf file

These two suggest a difference in how you talk to the auth system.

> Mozilla Users can send email.

This one suggests that Eudora and Mozilla make use of different auth
options. Perhaps one uses AUTH CRAM and the other AUTH CRAM MD5 ?
Excuse my foggy brain if that doesn't make sense, just had a rather nice
meal and am not running my brain in top gear again. :^)

> It used to work and just quit.
> Problem seems to be Authentication Related
>
> HELP!

LOGS?
--
C program run. C program crash. C programmer quit.