Re: [Exim] errors_to and syntax errors

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: Dean Brooks
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] errors_to and syntax errors
On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Dean Brooks wrote:

> I don't want to skip syntax errors - I do indeed want an error to
> occur. However, I would rather have the error go to
> postmaster@$domain rather than to the original sender.

I haven't tried this, but what the code is supposed to do is to defer
delivery on a syntax error. So no error message is sent to anybody.
Or has this gone on so long that the address has timed out? Please
confirm what is actually happening.

> But, Exim 4.04 seems to be ignoring "errors_to" on syntax errors.
>
> Is "errors_to" not applicable in this instance?

No it isn't. I had never thought of it as being relevant; my assumption
is that syntax errors are either skipped, or cause delivery to be
deferred. In neither case is a bounce message generated.

The manual tries to make this clear:

errors_to                       Type: string*                  Default: unset

    If the router successfully handles an address, it may queue it for
    delivery or it may generate child addresses. In both cases, if there is a
    delivery problem during later processing, the resulting bounce message is
    sent to the address that results from expanding this string, ...

Note the first phrase...