Re: [Exim] Frozen messages

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Dave C.
To: Gustav Olsson
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Frozen messages

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Gustav Olsson wrote:

> No, I don't, but I suppose there is someone on this list who has done what I
> want to do right now. Many times people give lectures about "find out
> yourself" or "RTFM!", I suppose that's a way of showing off, the more
> lecturing answers you can write in response the more respect you think
> you'll get from other people who read the list. What about a plain answer
> like "do THIS:". Why the need to give the impression that the one who ask
> questions are retarded unless the question is REALLY complicated?

The point is, if you are running a mail server, you realy should
understand how it works, rather that just having a quick reference of
specific commands to type.

This list is NOT a replacement for either being or hiring a qualified
admin. Contributors to this list do so on their own time, and you arent
paying for their assistance. Unpaid volunteers often tire of answering
the same questions over and over, which is why they create FAQs and
documentation to answer the questions that are asked over and over.
Coming in here and asking the question without taking the time to look
at that FAQ is considered rude.

Exim's documentation is fantastic - once you've solved this particular
problem, take a copy (printed or electronic) and a day, and read over
the entire thing. You will (hopefully) come away far more familiar with
exim's capabilities and how to use them.

> I think I'm aware of the fact that this probably isn't very hard to do, it's
> just that I don't know how to do it and need some help, I thought that was
> what these lists were for.

exim -Mrm `exim -bp | grep frozen | sed 's/^ *//g' | tr -s " " | cut -f 3 -d" "`

Please, instead of blindly using this, take a modem to

1. Read the documentation to find out what the exim options -Mrm and -bp
do

2. If you dont understand what the grep, sed, tr, and cut are doing,
read their documentation - these commands (and the others mentioned by
another poster) your alphabet if you are a unix sysadmin. If you dont
know siple stuff like this, you may wish to reconsider wether you should
be the admin of a unix server. (Its like not knowing about the 'Find
Files' menu option on a windows machine)

3. This will remove ALL frozen messages in your exim queue, regardless
of why they are frozen.

4. This advice comes with no guarantee or warranties. I could be trying
to erase all the system files on your server. If you dont understand the
command, dont use it.