Re: [Exim] Mailing lists with a twist

Author: Florian Weimer
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Mailing lists with a twist
Nigel Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham@???> writes:

>> 1. For each subscriber, a rather complicated calculation is necessary
>>    to decide whether he wants to receive the message or not.

> Isn't this best done in the MLM and passed to exim as a list of
> recipients?

I think most mailing lists have got a rather static subscriber list.

> Then again theoretically you could do an expansion within
> an DB enabled exim if you have the appropriate information....

Hmm. I'm going to look into it.

>> 2. Each message sent to a subscriber needs to carry a unique envelope
>>    and header From address.

> The envelope could be handled using VERP - see the VERP section in the
> online documentation.

Ah, I see, thanks. However, I'm not sure if VERP is the answer. VERP
traditionally includes the whole recipient address in the From
address, and I don't want to do this, at least not for the header
address.

--
Florian Weimer                       Weimer@???
University of Stuttgart           http://CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE/people/fw/