[Exim] TLS and certificate chains

Author: John Holman
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] TLS and certificate chains
I've obtained a server certificate from GlobalSign (under the UKERNA
deal for UK HE institutions, in fact) but am having difficulty
configuring Exim to use it. I think the problem is that the client needs
to receive not only the server certificate itself, but also a couple of
intermediate GlobalSign certificates linking it with the root
certificate known to the client.

Certainly this is necessary when using GlobalSign certificates with a
web browser. In that case, with Apache as the server, defining the
SSLCertificateChainFile directive and placing the intermediate
certificates in the referenced file works. However there does not seem
to be the corresponding directive in Exim.

What sounds like the same issue was raised back in November (see message
below) but I don't know whether there has been any progress since then.
We don't want to tell users to install the intermediate certificates in
the client themselves, since the reason for buying a commercial
certificate in the first place was to avoid any need for users to do
that kind of thing!

Thanks, John.