[Exim] TLS/SSL and Outlook/OE woes

Author: Eugene Searles
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] TLS/SSL and Outlook/OE woes
Dear Gentlepersons -

I've followed the list for a middling bit, searched the archives
and google, and perused spec.txt and the sample configs. I can
connect and send mail on port 465 with TLS with Netscape (4.77)
but cannot do so with Outlook or Outlook Express.

I am running exim 3.34

configure items:

daemon_smtp_port = 465
tls_privatekey = /usr/exim/exim.pem
tls_certificate = /usr/exim/exim.pem
tls_hosts = *

exim.pem was made per spec.txt 38.4 instructions, attending the
advice concerning Common Name given by Paul Makepeace in sample
CO27.

tcpdump shows both clients making a port 465 connection, but then
the Outlook connections die. Outlook produces an error )0x800CCCA1,
indicating secure connection not made, but I cannot figure out why.

Any advice or pointers would be most appreciated.

Gene Searles
esearles@???