Re: [Exim] Exim4: helo_verify/host_lookup reverse lookups

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Horne
CC: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim4: helo_verify/host_lookup reverse lookups
On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, John Horne wrote:

> tell, because they have 1 IP address each but 2 reverse lookup names each.
> Exim seems to check the first name it receives but not the second.
> E.g.   (mailhub) mary.csd.plymouth.ac.uk  =>  141.163.66.134
>                           141.163.66.134  =>  mary.csd.plymouth.ac.uk
>                                           =>  mail.plymouth.ac.uk

It seems that I overlooked host alias names when coding helo_verify.
They are recognized elsewhere in Exim, for example, when checking host
lists. Noted for sorting out.

However, Exim is supposed to try a forward lookup of the HELO name if it
can't match the reverse looked up name. I wonder why that didn't work?
(That is, it should have looked up mail.plymouth.ac.uk and compared IP
addresses.)

Could you try "exim -d -bh 141.163.66.134" and feed it
"helo mail.plymouth.ac.uk" please, and let me see the result?