Re: [Exim] what is exim's reaction (rfc1652)

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] what is exim's reaction (rfc1652)
--
søn, 2002-03-31 kl. 23:34 skrev dman:

> Ok, it's considered a bug in the user agent.

'Course it ain't. Telnetting to a mailserver on port 25 from a command
line interface don't constitute no user agent (or I'm a user agent).

> | The justification for this is given in my book. (Executive summary: this
> | action is more likely to "do what the user wanted" than anything else.)

Exactly. Getting something is better than getting nothing at all.

> I have no problem with simply being 8-bit clean rather than
> pedantically following the "SMTP is 7-bit" definition by stripping the
> high-order bit.

No one's "stripping high order bit"s, otherwise I'd get a } or
something, instead of an å (notice the beautiful quoted printable on
your disk?). 8 Bit transparent is simply being snuffed by the unfriendly
7 bit server.

> I was just wondering what the effect would be if a user agent whose
> output wasn't 7-bit tried to send Tony a message with exim as the
> system's mta. Apparently that's not a good thing to do.

Well, it's better than not getting anything at all and wondering why
nobody loves you any more.

:c(

Tony

Was it not the prophet Mosaius who said:
"All dead goats die living. Blessed be the
living goat, for he is not dead"?

--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:        tonni@???
www:        http://www.billy.demon.nl

Telefoon:    (+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:        (+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG/PGP Fingerprint: 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981