Re: [Exim] what is exim's reaction (rfc1652)

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] what is exim's reaction (rfc1652)
--
søn, 2002-03-31 kl. 00:21 skrev dman:

> Suppose this is the scenario :
>
> 1)  a user agent creates a message with the high-order bit set on some
>     characters
> 2)  the user agent pipes the mesasge to exim like that
> 3)  when exim tries to hand off the message via SMTP, the remote host
>     doesn't advertise 8BITMIME

> WIll exim bounce the message as rfc1652 seems to require, or is that
> considered a bug in the user agent that created the message?

I tried this by telnetting to Demon's outgoing smtp server running Exim
3.3 (known variously as post.demon.nl and post.mail.nl.demon.net- 2
different IP numbers), which advertises 8BITMIME to an ehlo. Sent
Norwegian 8bit characters, in Unix command-line mail, to my own PC.

It sends mail via 7bit mmdf servers and I got the message (i.e. it
wasn't bounced), without the Norwegian characters.

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:        tonni@???
www:        http://www.billy.demon.nl

Telefoon:    (+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:        (+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG/PGP Fingerprint: 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981