Re: [Exim] RE: mmdf and things

Página Inicial
Autor: Tony Earnshaw
Para: jes
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] RE: mmdf and things
--
lør, 2002-03-30 kl. 15:34 skrev Jim Segrave:

> > tor, 2002-03-28 kl. 06:55 skrev dman:
> > > Mmm, read the docs. exim only sends out 8-bit data if it was stuck in
> > > it. The docs on the advertise_8bitmime option also clearly say that
> > > it is not standards conforming and is likely to cause problems.
> > He says, and has never said, anything of the sort.
> > Don't forget that I've been with Exim since more or less the start, and
> > that my memory is that of an eliphant.
> > What Phil says/said, that many MTAs can get broken by it.
> And he is correct.

Jim Segrave. Of all people. One of the only 2 or 3 people in the world
from whom I'll accept literally anything and take it as gospel.

Hmmm. Enough of that.

Sendmail can 'translate' 8bit transparent mime to 7bit. What that
translation incurs, (whether it's quoted printable or not,) I don't
know). rfc1652 gives this as one of 2 alternatives for a mail server
that receives 8bit transparent mime. The other is, that the message
should be discarded.

2 Questions:

1: Why hasn't Demon put a Sendmail gateway to mmdf, as the rfc gives as
possibility?

2: How come Demon doesn't discard all 8bit transparent stuff as the rfc
gives as only possible alternative?

I do understand the difficulty Demon has in getting rid of mmdf. But I
can't quite understand why it's taken so long.

I have never much cared what Exim did with 8bitmime, as long as it
accepted it. All my MUAs cheerfully accept it and give me either
untranslated 8bit (e.g. Netscape) or quoted printable (e.g. Evolution).
Granted these are not command line MUAs.

People add things to wish lists here. Well, my greatest wish for Exim
(and I must say that I'm so unutterably thrilled with Exim 4 as it is),
is a 8 to 7 bit translation module. I am very dependant on Norwegian
mail and whether one likes it or not, Norwegian mail servers talk to
Norwegian mail servers (and Swedes and Danes and Germans) in 8bit
transparent. They do it to Americans and English too, but since they
don't write Norwegian letters (ØøÆæÅå) or accents (éè, etc) to them,
nobody cares. Icelanders do the same with their own very special letters
and no doubt Swedes and Danes. And French and Spaniards.

So Phil Hazel, wishlist: 8bitmime to 7bit translation on the TODO list?
To help Jim Segrave get off mmdf for good and all? Sendmail has been
doing it for years.

Lastly, Jim, I would never move from Demon to xs4all :c) Demon treats my
dial up Unix machine as a "grown up", gives it its own static IP number,
its own MX record (no domain registered) and its own mail feed on port
25 every time I join the Internet (I don't need to use Fetchmail, POP or
IMAP). No other ISP in Holland comes near to approaching this: Demon
represents stability. I do have a couple of grouses, that's true, but
that's for another forum.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:        tonni@???
www:        http://www.billy.demon.nl

Telefoon:    (+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:        (+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG/PGP Fingerprint: 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981