Re: [Exim] Forgive my ignorance ...

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Tony Earnshaw
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Kopio: dsh8290
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Forgive my ignorance ...
--
tor, 2002-03-28 kl. 06:55 skrev dman:

> Mmm, read the docs. exim only sends out 8-bit data if it was stuck in
> it. The docs on the advertise_8bitmime option also clearly say that
> it is not standards conforming and is likely to cause problems.

He says, and has never said, anything of the sort.

Don't forget that I've been with Exim since more or less the start, and
that my memory is that of an eliphant.

What Phil says/said, that many MTAs can get broken by it.

In the mean time, Sendmail with 8-7 bit translaton has appeared, and
most other MTAs apart from Erfc1652xchange are disappearing. Read, mark,
learn and inwardly digest rfc1652.

> Funny how the rest of the European community doesn't have a problem
> with it.

Excuse me dude, but what do you know about "the rest of the European
community"? I know a lot. And it uses Sendmail 8-7 bit translation, for
the most part.

Just telnet to port 25 on some European mailserver or another and ehlo.

My ISP, Demon.nl, has never heard of 'ehlo'. It cannot translate 8-7 bit
mime. Basta.

> | I dislike hypocrites.
> he is still standards conforming.

He is not.

> The 8BITMIME option in the Extended
> SMTP protocol is totally optional.

Perhaps you mean 8-bit transparent. I.e. no translation.

Trouble is, that most "proper" (not English, which keeps cadgeing off
American) European languages use above-ASCII code (look at ISO-8859).

> Again go research quoted-printable
> and base64 to see why it is not a problem at all (for standards
> conforming systems).

rfc1659

> | I was SICK today at getting mail from one of the largest dailies
> | (Dagbladet) in Norway that I couldn't read properly, because your mmdf
> | server, due for death 5 years ago, chopped the data to bits. It's not
> | just Norway, either. It's "European or not European".

> How do you know that that's where the problem lies?

Oh man!

> What happens if
> you try a different mailer to read the message?

Ermmm Demon cuts out 8 bit transparent. Basta. Phil says it does!

> Maybe someone else
> is managing an exim server that relayed the message; and maybe he set
> the 8bitmime option. That is fully documented as not being standards
> conforming and almost guaranteed to break stuff.

No. f.ex. dagbladet.no does an mx lookup on billy.demon.nl and gets
Demon's mailserver. Demon's mailserver accepts (which it shouldn't
according to rfc1652) 8 bit shit for Billy and cuts out all 8-bit stuff.
I.e. Norwegian letters.

The point is, this is am MTA that no-one else in Europe is using. It's
CRAP. It's called mmdf.

> | All I want is Norwegian letters from Norwegian servers (and I'm talking
> | about ALL Norwegian servers), without you anihilating them. And don't
> | tell me that all Norwegians are wrong and only Demon is right. Or you'll
> | have to include all French, all Swedes, all Danes, all Icelanders et.

> I don't know any European languages well enough to write anything in
> them as an example, but I can sprinkle in some nice looking unicode
> characters (you will surely need a multibyte character capable program
> to view this, gvim works but I doubt evolution does) :
>    €  ¬  †  Þ

> Now take a text editor and see how the message looks on disk and
> compare it to what you see in your mailreader.

> Just so you know, that euro character (unicode character 20ac) look
> like this :
>     =E2=82=AC

Yerrrrs, but this is what is called "quoted printable" and is 7-bit. So
no 1nder. Now ssh to a Norwegianj mail server and use Mutt or Elm or
something on THAT server. Find a Norwegian or Danish friend or
something. Then try it again.

No goose, this is for real.

Dman, I've been in this business since 1997. Used Exim since then.
Believe me ...

> Notice how each of those characters use only 7 bits! mmdf will handle
> this just fine, like the standards say.

Yep. Do you want lessons in Norwegian, so that you can teach a couple of
hundred thousand of the most talented IT people in the world to do it
your way?

Tonni

Sogning

--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:        tonni@???
www:        http://www.billy.demon.nl

Telefoon:    (+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:        (+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG/PGP Fingerprint: 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981