Re: PAM would not work on 4.02 (was Re: [Exim] exim-4.00: TL…

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Toshio Kumagai
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: PAM would not work on 4.02 (was Re: [Exim] exim-4.00: TLS wouldnotwork)
Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Toshio Kumagai wrote:
>
> > Hi Philip and list,
> >
> >       I found that Solaris PAM works if EXIM_USER set to root.
> >       On 3.x, I've left EXIM_UID blank, it worked well.
> >       But on 4.x, I've set EXIM_USER to 6 (mail).
> >       So, TLS credentials (files can be read only for root)
> >       and PAM stopped to work.
> >       I understand that I have to run exim-4 with UID=0.

> This is the "standard" PAM problem. There have been a number of
> solutions posted, I seem to recall. I believe there is some helper
> module that can be used to allow PAM authentication by non-root callers.
> Someone else may be able to point you at it.
>
> I do not like the idea of running Exim (3 or 4) as root.

    Yup.
    But "running as root" is not so bad if the code have been
    well-reviewed, IMHO.
    Writing PAM wrapper is pretty easy for us, but the wrapper
    may introduce vulnerability in SMTP service based on EXIM.

    Anyway, I have to say thank you for your help, Philip.
    And I wish myself to be one of your help.

    # Umm ... sorry for my terrible English ;-)

Regards, from Japan with cherry blossoms.

--
            *** Save Solaris x86 ***
  Toshio Kumagai    TK2959 / TK127-AP