Re: PAM would not work on 4.02 (was Re: [Exim] exim-4.00: TL…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Toshio Kumagai
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: PAM would not work on 4.02 (was Re: [Exim] exim-4.00: TLS wouldnot work)
On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Toshio Kumagai wrote:

> Hi Philip and list,
>
>    I found that Solaris PAM works if EXIM_USER set to root.
>    On 3.x, I've left EXIM_UID blank, it worked well.
>    But on 4.x, I've set EXIM_USER to 6 (mail).
>    So, TLS credentials (files can be read only for root)
>    and PAM stopped to work.
>    I understand that I have to run exim-4 with UID=0.

This is the "standard" PAM problem. There have been a number of
solutions posted, I seem to recall. I believe there is some helper
module that can be used to allow PAM authentication by non-root callers.
Someone else may be able to point you at it.

I do not like the idea of running Exim (3 or 4) as root.