[Exim] Forgive my ignorance ...

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Tony Earnshaw
To: exim-users
Betreff: [Exim] Forgive my ignorance ...
--
... but what harm can an underscore do, in 2001, in itself? It is, after
all, an ascii character, i.e. 7 bits.

Disregard all other characters, 7, 8 or 64 bits.

I do understand that having non-ascii characters, even binary zeros, may
lead to anarchy.

I also experience, that Phil Pennock's crappy mmdf 7-bit mmdf server is
anihilating all mail from normal 8-bit mail servers on the Internet,
simply because I'm forced to receive my SMTP mail feeds from it. Yuk. I
can't help having a dial-in machine - even though it runs under Unix and
gets automatic SMTP mail feeds, thank you Phil.

O.k., I'm not forced to, but it just so happens that Demon Internet NL
is my favourite ISP (irrespective of juffer Miriam - joke). Because of
Jim Seagrave, God rest his soul, Demon is my favorite ISP. I could have
chosen xs4all, they'd have given me 8 bit mail. _With_ a fixed IP
number, that billy.demon.nl gets from Demon. Maybe xs4all is a listening
ISP, too.

5M Norwegians, 7M Swedes, 5M Danes, 88M Germans, God knows how many
French and Belgian Walloons, Spaniards, Portugese, Icelanders etc.
can't send me normal mail through Phil Pennock's crappy mmdf 7-bit
server, so that I can read it properly.

So, what harm does an underscore do?

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:        tonni@???
www:        http://www.billy.demon.nl

Telefoon:    (+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:        (+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG/PGP Fingerprint: 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981