[Exim] "421 too many recipients" got from other MTAs

Author: Enrico Zini
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] "421 too many recipients" got from other MTAs
Hello,

in the site where I work we send a morning press review to our 100000+
users, and I'm in charge of the sending system.

Since all press review mails are identical, I use multiple recipients to
speed up delivery. I limited the number of recipients per message to
2000 because I feared that the whole list would create some problems
somewhere.

All is working wonderfully, except a remote MTA is giving "421 too many
recipients" errors to our exim server.

The question is: will exim eventually retry later with shorter recipient
lists, or will the recipients served by that mail host never receive
their mail? In the latter case, since I can't know what are the
recipient limits on all possible remote mail servers, is there some
suggestion on how to get the mail delivered without having to send out
more than 100000 identical mail bodies?

Looking at the logs, it seems now to be eventually failing with retry
timeout exceeded...

-----

While I'm here, I have another couple of side questions.

I generate the message body, and then send it multiple times via SMTP to
exim giving 2000 different recipients per send. I don't touch the
message body between sends, so the message-id is identical. Do I need
to change it instead?

Do you think that exim will have problems if I send a single mail to all
100000+ recipients? That is, am I running for trouble if I start
sending exim more than 100000 RCPT TO: for a single message?

Bye, Enrico

--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico@???>