Re: [Exim] My (wishlist) ultimate spam solution

Author: Greg Webster
To: dman
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] My (wishlist) ultimate spam solution
On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, dman wrote:
> Anyways, why don't you go rewrite it and the regex engine and the MIME
> parsing and base64 decoding and all in C, and don't use any libraries
> at all!, so that nothing else will need to be installed.

That's exactly the point, isn't it? I don't want MIME parsing, base64
decoding. I want something simple and unobtrusive that doesn't require all
the stuff you are saying I need to create if I want to replace
SpamAssassin. Well, as I have said, _I do not want to replace
SpamAssassin_. I just want a simple way for me -to create my own rules-.

> Not if you have to re-invent the wheel.

See above.

> It is much less install crazy to write everything in machine code (in
> binary) yourself at the front panel[1] :-).

Note above. I do not appreciate being told that this was my intention.
Obviously discussion of the _possibilities_ of exim directors is not
welcome by you on an exim discussion list.

> | I don't want all the features of SpamAssassin,
>
> Ok, now there's a valid reason for not using it.

So why are you trying to tear me down if this is what I want?

> | I just want some simple filtering like this file and director would
> | provide.
>
> You can write a filter to test for various things and react how you
> want. However if you're going to write a bunch of regex-based tests
> to identify spam, why not use SA's tests and scores? They've been
> tested by many people already. You can adjust or remove the tagging
> that SA does in the config file.

Because I want to make my own adjustments. Maybe even do it from scratch
for the specific simple tasks that I want.

You know, people could have just kept running the various commerical
UNIX's and Windows OS's. There are reasons (even if just for learning) for
doing things that have already been done.

Greg