Re[2]: [Exim] exim, exiscan, and anti-virus software

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Richard Welty
To: exim-users
題目: Re[2]: [Exim] exim, exiscan, and anti-virus software
my long delayed summary. i got one response, which follows, and then there
are some followup comments of mine at the end:

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002 17:31:08 +0100 (MET) "V. T. Mueller" <vtmue@???> wrote:
> Although I'm using amavis my experience might still valuable for you
> since
> you asked for the scanner software itself.
>
> >>From my experience, and I run both Sophos antivirus as well as network
> associates avscan, there is few difference in the product itself. All
> find
> viruses and report a return value unequal zero. More important become
> features like how easy is it to update virus information files
> automatically? How fast and available is their webserver offering the
> files? How fast are they in updating those data?
>
> After >1 year of polling those servers every 30 minutes i ;) I would opt
> for Sophos, whereas I would basically recommend to use two independant
> scanners serially (I guess that's possible with exiscan as it's with
> amavis).

so i emailed sophos; it took them about 2 weeks to get back to me.

their licensing is per protected users; so for the client that i'm
assisting, they can install it on all 5 exim mail servers without being
charged more than if they only installed it on their internet gateway.
this is a good thing, as they have some very dumb users who might get
infected before updated anti-virus patterns come out, and it'd be nice
to control "the gift that keeps on giving".

they quoted me $787.50/year (US$) for 50 protected users. considering
the cost of cleaning up messes after the fact, this doesn't seem at all
out of line.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@???